Monday, December 11, 2006

Leftovers

I hate to throw food away and everyone who has known me for very long at all knows that I use as much of everything as I can. I thought I would post the yummy supper we just had. I had leftover stewed tomatoes and turkey meat that I had pulled off of the bone so I had to use that.

Tomato casserole
cook and drain:
3 cups macaroni noodles
put into a lightly buttered casserole dish
spoon a light layer of cottage cheese over the top , then add
up to 2 cups of whatever meat you like (or none at all)
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of oregano
garlic according to taste
onion if you like onion
2-4 cups of stewed tomatoes
1/2 cup of shredded cheddar
top with bread or cracker crumbs

Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes. You don't have to put meat in this dish since the cheese and pasta combo makes a complete protein. My family thinks this would taste pretty good with leftover chili beans instead of meat too....I'll try it next time I have a cup or so of leftover chili. It's really yummy even if Caleb didn't think it would be (he ate two plates full) and very filling. We all think it will be a regular addition during our summertime garden days too with whatever veggie is ripe going into the mix....I think I may have just found another use for zucchini!

It came out to be a nearly free meal for us tonight. I already had the turkey in the fridge and the tomatoes leftover, I just had to cook the macaroni (about 40cents worth) and the cheese (about 80 cents worth including the cottage cheese). Bread crumbs are free to me since I'm always gathering them when we bake or slice homemade bread and stashing them in the freezer.

No comments: