Tuesday, December 12, 2006

A favorite breakfast recipe

I thought I would post it while it is baking. We just love these and the kids consider them a real treat even though we make them about once a week. I always thought bran muffins would be dry and flavorless and kind of nasty...but these are wonderful and moist and sweet and why on earth does it take 20 whole minutes for them to finish baking?

Raisin maple bran muffins
1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
you could use all white or all wheat
2 cups bran flakes
(the only cold cereal purchase I allow)
2 teaspoons baking soda
2/3 cups raisins
2/3 cups nuts; walnut, pecan, almond
(I really miss my pecan tree back home)
Mix all of those things together in a large bowl.
Add:
2 cups yogurt or sour cream
(I make my own yogurt and use that)
2 cups pancake syrup
4 eggs
Mix altogether but don't overmix it or your muffins will
come out with tunnels in them and be crumbly.
Fill muffin cups 2/3 full and bake at 400degrees for 20 minutes.

I like muffins for breakfast when it's not hot because they are quick, filling and cheap. I make my own yogurt from powdered milk (trust me, it's the creamiest, cheapest and best tasting yogurt we've had) so that is a cheap and healthy addition to lots of baked goods around here and it boosts the protein content. I skip the nuts in most recipes if I don't happen to have them on hand...back home the pecan trees and walnut trees were everywhere and you could gather them by the 5 gallon bucket full to keep for the year. I make these muffins usually about once a week but sometimes I add mashed banana to it and cut back on the syrup if I have bananas that need to be used. We tried them once with applesauce instead of the raisins and with less syrup but didn't like that as much.

Is it just me or is that oven taking forever?

No comments: