Friday, February 10, 2006

another recipe or two

I have to take Tae to the dentist today so I'll just add whatever I have time to before we have to go. Some folks who know me have made special requests for certain recipes so those are the ones I will put up first. Keep asking for the ones ya'll want and I'll make sure they get posted.

Fake out NOT fillet mignon
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground turkey
3 Tbsp steak sauce...A1 or Heinz 57 (the hillbilly housewife has a great steak sauce recipe on her site)
1 envelope onion soup mix (2 for $1 at aldi's)
2 slices bread torn into itty bitty bits
1/2 c bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste
bacon strips to wrap patties in (can substitute turkey or beef bacon)

Sgoosh all but the bacon together in a big bowl and shape into patties. Wrap with bacon and secure with a toothpick (make sure to take it out before eating so ya don't skewer your tongue). These are best made on a charcoal grill, but can be cooked on the stove or in the oven and I know a lady who even made them in her crock pot and threw a can of cream of mushroom soup in over the top of it and served them with noodles. It's a great way to stretch your meat budget and still make your family feel like they are eating good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Super Cheater take it easy casserole

Meat...
You can use chicken pieces with or without the bones and skin (season with salt and pepper and just a tiny little bit of sage), or you can use hamburger crumbled or pattied(salt, pepper, garlic onion), or I have used leftover turkey (sage and thyme) or ham or pork chops or roast (salt and pepper and a very light sprinkle of paprika). I have never tried it with deer meat just because. Use enough to cover the bottom of your casserole dish...I use a 3qt rectangle.
A veggie or two....
I usually use green beans because I like em and they are cheap but you can use whatever you want to.
Swiss cheese slices...
Again I'm cheap so I get the fake swiss slice singles at aldi. You can use whatever kind of cheese you want I just like swiss flavor for this recipe.
Cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup..
The cheapest kind you can find. For red meat I always use the mushroom and toss in a sprinkle or two of worchestershire or steak sauce. For chicken I just make some cream of chicken from boullion cubes.
Cheap box stuffing mix or leftover stuffing or leftover mashed potatoes...
Get a little creative here and finish the dish out however you want. I have used the stuffing for all of the meats I have used and the potatoes too...my family ate it both ways. One time for kicks I used a head of cabbage that I had sitting in the fridge and shredded it up on top....it actually turned out really good and I would keep doing that except that I'm the only person here who likes cabbage so I don't get to have it very often. I have used noodles but when you do that you have to add more liquid and rice doesn't really blend in very well or add much flavor. When I use potatoes I add just a bit of dill to them and it really makes the meal!!

Layer meat, then veggie, then soup, then cheese then stuffing or potatoes or whatever. Baking time is really depending on what kind of stuff you put in there so go by how long it takes to get the meat thoroughly cooked.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll try to get more on later....today is my busiest running aroundest day of the week so it may not be for a day or two but I'll try to write a recipe for my meatloaf ( love ya Jessi george).

No comments: